Fire investigators in Norwood, Massachusetts, blame a grease fire in a commercial oven for a blaze that spread through a food processing plant Friday morning.
Firefighters already at the scene as a precaution during a welding project almost immediately confirmed an automatic alarm shortly after 8 a.m., the Norwood Fire Department Facebook page states. Responders encountered heavy smoke both in the building and venting from the roof.
One of the two assigned engine companies stretched an attack line to the seat of the fire while a ladder company made their way to the roof. However, the volume and spread of fire through the building soon resulted in a second alarm for mutual aid from neighboring departments.
With additional help, firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control despite an extension into the roof line that required extensive overhaul. Firefighters achieved final extinguishment 2¼ hours into the operation.
Authorities estimated the damage at about $250,000.