Concern about toxic smoke prompted authorities to ask residents of Adlington, England, to remain indoors Wednesday night as fire all but consumed a single-story textile warehouse.
At the height of the fire, firefighters from Lancashire Fire and Rescue and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service operated eight fire engines at the scene, a spokesperson for the Lancashire service reported via Twitter.
“We were also assisted with special appliances from both fire and rescue services,” incident commander Phil Jones said. “These are aerial ladder platforms, stinger appliances and high-volume pumps.”
Reported shortly after 6 p.m., the fire swept through an inventory of raw and unprocessed fabric, thick black smoke filling the sky overhead. The fire was fully contained by 10:30 p.m., Jones reported, but firefighters remained on scene through the morning hours Thursday.
Greater Manchester and Lancashire had joined forces on a major industrial fire in Salford only the day before.
See all comments