An ammonia leak Sunday morning forced the evacuation of a poultry processing plant in southern Ontario.
At about 3 p.m. the Brampton Fire & Emergency Services Twitter site stated that ventilation had brought ammonia levels down to acceptable levels. All road in the area are open and notices asking nearby residents to self-isolate have been cancelled.
First reported at 8:16 a.m., the ammonia leak prompted an immediate evacuation of the building and everyone within a kilometer of the site.
Hazardous materials responders consulted with plant personnel as to the location of the ammonia shutoff, then entered the building and isolated the leak.
Anhydrous ammonia used in industrial refrigeration is toxic and flammable at concentrations of 15-30 percent by volume in air. An explosion is possible if the ammonia collects in a confined space before finding an ignition source.