A food processing plant in Grand Forks, North Dakota, reported a release of ammonia Saturday morning.
Shortly before 8 a.m., Grand Forks Fire Department was dispatched to Simplot Products at 3630 Gateway Drive for a hazardous material release. A leak occurred in their freezer area, releasing approximately 100 pounds of anhydrous ammonia into the freezer itself.
GFFD responded with three fire engines, a hazmat response vehicle, a decontamination trailer and a command unit. Simplot personnel were able to slow the leak from their equipment room.
GFFD assisted by making entry for testing the level of the released product. The building was ventilated.
Simplot personnel will make needed repairs.
Grand Forks Fire Dept. was assisted on scene by Altru ambulance, GFPD, and Simplot employees.
See all comments