Trash left over from a battery manufacturing operation caught fire Sunday and spread through a closed factory in western El Salvador, local media report.
Nearly 300 residents living within 200 meters were ordered evacuated out of concern that the fire could spread lead contamination, Minister of the Interior Mario Duran said.
Firefighters in San Juan Opico brought three fire pumpers to bear against the massive fire. Fire officials reported that waste and debris discarded indoor help fuel the spread of the fire.
See all comments