Workers found a fellow employee dead in a vat of liquid chromic acid Tuesday morning at a metal plating factory in Dayton, Ohio.
"Tragically, the Techmetals family lost a beloved, 39-year plating veteran — a loving father, husband, brother, friend and a mentor to us all," according to the Techmetals, Inc. website.
The Montgomery County Coroner's Office rules the cause of death for Dana Swisher, 60, to be accidental drowning.
Emergency responders arrived to find workers performing CPR on Swisher after pulling him from the tank. He died shortly thereafter.
Techmetals employees participating in the rescue attempt required decontamination by emergency personnel.
The incident happened in an area reserved for rinsing processed or finished parts with water, the company website states. Following an OSHA investigation, the plant resumed operations.
Techmetals does electroplating, polishing, anodizing and coloring with chemicals for various industries, OSHA reports.
See all comments